Previously the reason for looking into a different bicooler was discussed. With the decision to make a change settled the search is on for a new intercooler that will be suitable for use on the GTI as the front mounted half of a bicooler.
Candidates for the front half that are currently used on the GTI:
- CTS FMIC
- eBay FMIC v2 – current bicooler
- eBay FMIC v1
- ECS Tuning
- Forge Bicooler
- Mabotech Bicooler
- Neuspeed IS38
- Treadstone TR8L
- Vibrant 12810
From this list the top candidates are ECS Tuning, Treadstone, and Vibrant.
The decision to eliminate the others was made for the following reasons:
- CTS FMIC – 20% smaller core than the eBay FMIC that has been used up to now.
- eBay FMIC v1 – 38% smaller core than eBay FMIC v2.
- Forge Bicooler – Similar to eBay FMIC v1, likewise smaller than the FMIC currently in use.
- Mabotech Bicooler – eBay FMIC v2 appears to be a duplicate of this product. No reason to expect different performance.
- Neuspeed IS38 – Flow testing produced poorer results than the existing eBay FMIC.
The next step will be a more detailed comparison of the ECS, Treadstone, and Vibrant intercoolers.